Weekend Sunshine

Sunday 26 February 2012


The sun shone all weekend and gave me a little spring in my step...boing!

It seems, as I'm getting older, that the change in seasons affects me more intensely. I do love the change from autumn into winter, relishing a crackling fire and a dark evening, as much as when spring bursts forth. However lovely it is, though, warming my toes by the fire and all that, there is a low point at the end of February when I've really have had enough. I'm so fed up with wet, dark, grey weekends and a house full of children who don't want to go outside because it's too wet or cold or....dark!

My barren garden looks quite lovely in the winter as it's full of teasles and birds but it looks even more beautiful in the summer when it burst with flowers...and nettles, brambles, ground elder etc!


Two beautiful crisp days this weekend lifted everyone in our household and reminded us that the most wonderful thing about living in the countryside is being outside and the freedom of all the outside space we have by our house.

We have two huge gardens which wrap themselves around our home, doubley enclosed with a network of ancient yew trees...like a big hug. In the winter the garden seems to turn into a huge muddy moat, a defence between our house and the car park, calling small children to muddy their lovely clean school clothes. In the summer it is like entering a secret, magical place which calls kids to climb it's trees, make dens and have and adventure. It makes adults stop, smile, relax, wander and feel a whole lot better about their own gardens (because they have a lot less weeds!)


Wandering around our sunny, winter garden, stripped back to it's bare bones, made me realise what I love about living where I do and what I'll miss when we move away....

I love the bubbled stain glass of my front door against the rough oak pillars of the porch, the washed out distressed iron water butt against the cream cotswold stone walls and the woven willow....


I love all the textures, contrasts between rough and smooth, old and new, man made and natural.

Old enamel lettering, partly rusted looks lovely and provides an interesting contrast to the plants and trees.


I love the colour of rust...I bought this piece of iron from a car boot sale when I was very heavily pregnant and then dragged it back to my car!

Roll on spring!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Wild Ink All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger